Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Training with the Experience in Mind

While perusing the blogs I follow, I reacquainted myself with this article from Josh Bersin. I was pleased to see that my ideas align pretty well and I was able to learn a few new things. I love the focus on informal, casual learning and the value of networks. I've been blogging about informal learning quite a bit and was pleased to see I'm on track.

I also enjoyed some of the specifics regarding human networks outlined in this recent article in CLO magazine. It got me thinking about the power of people and the kind of experience they have getting the information they need in a practical, timely fashion. User experience always brings me back to the work of Lou Carbone and his book Clued In: How to Keep Customers Coming Back Again and Again. This book really changed the way I viewed the guest experience and as such changed the way I think about developing learning tools.

1. Develop tools with the end user in mind. Specifically, what is the emotional connection you want users to make with the tools or learning experience? Developing learning interventions can become fairly methodical. Great learning professionals also consider the overall experience of the user and strive to measure the degree to which participants feel confident, secure, knowledgeable and prepared.

2. Develop tools with the customer in mind. Your clients eventually interact with your organization's clients. How would those individuals describe your people? The tools prepare learners to perform on the job, but are they performing in a way that creates an enjoyable experience for the guest and a profitable experience for the organization? For example, sales teams are provided plenty of material on "up-selling" or "adding value." I would ask how the guest perceives the outcomes of the training. Do they feel like they are getting a better service experience or do they feel are they being pushed to purchase things they don't want.

3. Keep it simple. Make learning tools easy to obtain, easy to use, easy to reuse, easy to share. The Bersin article calls it "Facilitating Learning." Learning organizations have plenty of informal tools and can guide and enable learning rather than focus on delivering training.

To come full circle, I think high-impact learning organizations also make the learner experience an important part of their design process. More than just a look at the user requirements, training solutions should be built within the context of the entire learning structure and organization's cultural experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment